Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Late Night Ramblings on Music

Music can truly center you and keep you grounded (not like can't leave the house or play with your toys grounded :P). Here I am, sleepless not-so-much in Seattle, listening to all these songs that were popular in high school and all the memories come flooding in. I'm reminded of blaring "Angel of Mine" by Monica on those early drives to school in the mornings, the feelings I had over that silly high school crush who I never managed to snag until 5 years after graduation ;), the dreams I had, etc- and to sit here at 31 and hear those same songs knowing how I see, think, and feel about things, it's amazing to see how much I've grown, how much I've changed, how much I've stayed the same, and how much I still dream of those same things now that I'm twice as old as I was when these songs were part of my every day routine. And as wonderful as it is to reminisce, it's made me feel incredibly OLD. LOL

The tunes play on on this lonely sleepless night and "I Will Always Love You" is sung into my ears by an angel now in Heaven. So many times did I (and still do) belt this song out in my car and on those coveted days when I was left home alone and didn't have to subject anyone to the God awful sound that my once vocally trained voice has morphed into. Sadly there were MANY days where I thought I could sing as well as Whitney and Celine Dion- that was until I recorded myself and played it back in utter horror. I may or may not still do that. ;)

Music has ALWAYS been a HUGE inspiration in my life- and I still occasionally kick myself for not transferring to Belmont back in college and pursuing music business. I used to play in my grandmother's backyard on Graceland Drive, no less, and just sing my little heart out. I sang true Lindsey originals- most of my work I made up as I went along. Funny, I feel like that's the approach I've taken with the way I'm living my life these days. :) I would sing for hours. Perhaps that's why my mother finally hired me a vocal coach. My claim to fame is performing at the highly acclaimed center stage in the former Hickory Ridge Mall. You might have heard of me- I almost had my remake of "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" hit the Billboard charts. Or maybe I made that part up? ;) I remember imagining myself growing out of that 6 year old version of me and into a famous vocalist. Ha! I retired my "professional" appearances after performing "If They Could See Me Now". I was also like 11. The music business was incredibly cut throat at that age. Do you realize how hard it was to get a solo act in a recital?! LOL

Music was also a big part of my family memories. My mother and I took many a trip to Nashville to go to Opryland. Generally a trip to the GEO Theater was in order to catch every single Lee Greenwood show that was offered. Let me tell you how much that thrilled me at such a tender, young age. Haha. I managed to end up knowing the lighting guy in the amphitheater, who ironically used to work in the arcade that was in the food court of one of my well frequented venues- the Hickory Ridge Mall. I know- small world, right? So this guy hooks me up with a backstage season pass where I got to run around the Opryland concert venue and help with the on-stage fog machines and more importantly, walk across the stage before the shows, wave to my mom and pretend to have a taste of knowing what it felt like to be on that same stage as people like Mr. God Bless The USA himself, Travis Tritt, and Vince Gill- all whom I met over the course of that summer. I knew what a green room was at the age of 12. I was "in the know" and was learning how to network at an early age. All these years later, I still keep up with some of Lee Greenwood's former band members. It was back then where I began to have a deep rooted, and still there to this day, huge crush on Nashville.

Occasionally we would stay at the then Opryland Hotel. In between the Cascades and Conservatory in the hotel used to be a large iron spiral staircase. Many nights I would escape to the game room to engage in a little Ms. Pacman action and aimlessly wander around the huge indoor jungle that IS the now Gaylord Opryland Resort. I would often find myself on the top of that spiral staircase pretending I was a star entering the stage for my concert. Every step I took down that staircase, I felt important, confident, and 100% positive that music was my calling. Keep in mind, I was 12 at best.

Nineteen years later, that memory lives with me like it happened yesterday, and while I may not be a famous country artist, I have a huge passion for music, the music industry, and for memories. And that's what music does for me- it reminds me of specific people, specific places, specific times- all like they were yesterday. I get lost in the lyrics, I find myself identifying with someone else's verbal emotions set to music- a talent I truly wish I had, I look for the meaning for the song. Best of all, I get inspired. I get inspired to still belt out a Mariah Carey song that still reminds me of my first ever love and try to improve the sound that comes from deep within and echoes through my car; I get inspired to put my own thoughts on paper; I get inspired to love and be loved; I get inspired to follow my dreams; I get inspired to reflect more on the past and cherish times gone by; I get inspired to remain true to myself- no matter how alone that may make me feel.

"Ain't it funny how a melody can bring back a memory."
-Clint Black

2 comments:

  1. Nice read. Thanks. I was listening to Def Leppard on the way to work today and remembering middle school days. I'm a little older than you. Its great that music can connect us with the past like that, many times like nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about music taking u back to another time. I was rocking out to Def Leppard on the way to work yesterday. Middle school seemed like just yesterday when that came on.

    ReplyDelete