Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How I Came To Make My Own "Movie"

If you know me, you know that I enjoy live television production.  The excitement of the behind-the-scenes atmosphere is an experience like no other.  You must be prepared for hiccups in production, inclement weather, which may throw off your broadcast- especially in sports, and interruptions in programming.  Everything is about timing, down to the second.  In sports broadcasting, there is communication that goes on between the network's headquarters to the associate director who is on location to time the return feed to air, making sure commercial timing is as perfect as can be.  In sports, there is oftentimes a rain delay tape that is prepared and on standby just in case- and they are prepared even on the sunniest of days because, let's face it, no one can ever predict the weather 100% of the time.  ;)

Having worked for a few very reputable networks, I have had the privilege of witnessing nationally broadcasted sporting events from inside the TV trucks sitting alongside the director and producer.  Even in a sport that is a slow-paced as golf, the behind-the-scenes is intense.  I have included a video I took a couple years ago of a live golf show going "live to air" on my YouTube page.  There is so much going on and so many people that come together to put one three hour golf program on air.  You've got a director communicating with producers and the talent (broadcasters), you've got a producer watching taped golf, another watching live golf, several "spotters" spread out on the course following different groups of golfers reporting back to the producers what golfers are doing what, for example calling in on the headset to tell the producer that Tiger is for Eagle on 16.  You've got the associate director talking directly with the network in New York.  There's another group of guys in another area editing the shots you see on SwingVision.  There's the graphics crew who handle the research on the athletes and create the graphics you see on the screen.  There's a scorekeeper who edits the score on the graphics so that the score you see on TV reflects the score relevant to what of the event has been aired.  There's another truck where someone is editing the music and taped golf.  There's another set of folks who are adjusting the colors you see on TV.  There are cameramen, secretaries, audio guys, caterers, production assistants, interns, etc.  When I say there is a LOT going on, I simply cannot stress it enough without actually having you see it for yourself.  It is so fascinating that I wish everyone could have the opportunity to tour the TV compound just once.  You would be amazed.

Having found this love for live TV and the control room, I have worked whatever gigs I can get- and believe me, they do not come easy.  After over four years of working different events, I have a general understanding of how the entire production is pieced together and understand who is communicating with who, why, and when in order to make it all come together.  It is a difficult field to get into, especially if you do not have special training in the field or did not go to college for TV and film.

I've always been one to want to make home videos- silly videos, videos of my vacation, videos of anything I thought would be a worthwhile watch later on and things I enjoyed and wanted to share with others.  And pictures...  Boy, do I LOVE pictures.  I can fill up gigs of SD cards and I have to usually delete photos and vids off my iPhone in order to take new ones.  A couple weeks ago, I was bored and decided to open up iMovie on my computer and see what it was all about.  Having never used it before, I literally played around with it, importing videos and photos, for hours.  I figured out how to add music files to the movie, how to fade the music in and out, how to fade to black, how to transition from still shots to videos.  I learned what the Ken Burns effect was.  I learned how to clip videos.  I began to play with the timing of the pictures to have them change to a new photo with the beat of the music.  I amazed myself.  Eight hours later, I had a 10 minute video that chronicled a beach trip my mother and I took for my 29th birthday.

I have now been inspired to produce another movie that chronicles my move to Florida, which is currently a 22 minute film and is not even CLOSE to being finished.  I have chosen to share my creation with you because I am proud of it and because I have taken a passion of mine and combined it with my own emotions and my own videos and photos to produce my very own movie.  I didn't get paid for it and I really never expected anyone other than family and friends to watch it.  But- I enjoyed the process, I enjoyed teaching myself how to use a program without a manual or help from anyone else, and I want to share my accomplishment with you.

Perhaps you have other passions.  Take them and work with them.  Maybe one day I will score a full time gig in TV production, maybe I won't- but I still enjoy it and if I can't do it for a living, I can still make use out of the things I've learned and from the things I taught myself.  Either way, I'm still active with my passion and I encourage you to do the same.  Maybe this will inspire you to take more videos and pictures, maybe it won't.  To me, every day is a photo that will be a memory tomorrow.  Why not capture the moments you want to last?  Take the candid videos.  Save them.  You never know when you might decide to make your own movie.  Sometimes you might go back and watch and laugh; maybe you'll cry.  Just remember to keep doing what you enjoy and don't let go of it even if you can't do it for a living.  Dream big and don't just chase your dreams; catch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment